This is something we have seen before. The fix is already in the code and will be available in the next release (1.6). If you need to use it now, you can download the experimental version. Beware, though many other things are broken in the experimental release.
I always encourage people to build kits if they are willing, since it is such a good learning experience and gives you the ability to fix the printer yourself when things go wrong. It is also by far the most economical way to get into 3D printing. You can get a kit for roughly half the cost of an equivalent preassembled machine.I've never dealt with the HICTOP or Alunar kits, but they are all based on the Prusa i3, which is probably the most popular 3d printer out there. This means it will be very easy to get help and find replacement or upgrade parts. We sell an i3 kit made by BQ, which I like because it comes with very good instructions.Unless a kit specifically says it has an all metal hot end, it probably doesn't. Your ability to print different materials will by limited by the maximum temperature of your hot end. I wouldn't worry too much about HIPS, though, since it prints at the same temperatures as ABS.Most printers are capable of 100 micron layers (0.1 mm) but we normally print at 200 microns (0.2 mm).
I’m a service engineer. Problems like this are common for me. And sorry for you to hear a clear „No“ on my behalf - there is no common or usual way to get a machine up and running. I went over 20 iterations or more, which is normal for custom made machines.
Ah yes. I completely forgot about the whole 3D vs 5D gcode thing. I haven't had to deal with the old style gcode since I upgraded my Cupcake CNC to a stepper extruder. Is such a thing possible with a BfB?You could always try using another slice engine within MatterControl. However, as far as I can tell Cura and Slic3r won't do 3D gcode anymore either. If all else fails, you could generate a gcode file using some other software (Skeinforge?) and still print it through MatterControl.
hmmmm, I had a suspicion that may be the problem and yes there is a z-axis offset that was set using the M212 command and there is a G29 code at the start of my gcode. I just glanced over the link you gave but it looks like it may. I'll take a look at it tonight thanks for the info
We were at CES last week and saw these guys: http://www.photocentricgroup.com/They appear to be a chemical compounding company that is using their resin as the technology. The machine is super simple. That said - simple is very easily scalable. They are using visible light (460 nm wavelength) to cure the resin and the lightsource is any LCD screen. The genius of this is that the screen - and therefore the technology platform - is very scalable and cheap. Nothing stopping you from having a simple Z axis and mounting a 52 in TV as the light source. Unproven as of yet - but could be interesting to keep an eye on. A liter of the resin is priced at about $65 per liter.