Pulse XE printing failure after Reset to Defaults and Callibration
I've Reset to Defaults in Mattercontrol, then I've calibrated it again for my Pulse XE (I hope correctly), it starts print fine, but at some point starts melt NylonX as shown in image, sticks and thereby destroys the print:
before Reset to Defaults I had successful NylonX and Ryno prints with factory settings. Can I restore it someway for calibration, it seems like Restore Settings does not changes as needed in this particular case.
Before the resistance is felt, I release the paper with an additional click, maybe I have to remove paper when it stops moving completely, but I've tried this way and unfortunately scratched the garotte bad with nozzle, I hope I managed to stop the printer in time to not damage the nozzle too.
Any guide or advice would be helpful
This looks like a very small part that means the hotend stays too long in the same area and cooks it. I have not printed Nylonx but plenty nylons and there is something like too small a part usually something that is smaller than an inch across. IF you want to print a small item like that you got to print at least 2 or 3 so the nozzle moves away and gives it a chance to cool down a little Theoretically you could try a little fan but that messes bad with layer adhesion and warping
Thank you for your feedback
Well I've added a bit glue on the garolite bed, which was not required for NylonX before. I have printed a lot of parts with this material, small parts as well with using of such rafts and it was always attached without additional adhesive, and it is first time I see such failure as shown on image, but I'm almost sure melting occurred because raft was peeled off the bed and stick to nozzle.
It is unclear, because it was vise-versa, it did not stick with using glue, and was fine without it before reset and new calibration, provoked by a problem, described here: Pulse XE TPU printing settings by the way, sorry for late answer there, it is still actual.
Now I've tried use glue first time for NylonX and it seems like I have fist start, which is still successful, will see. Anyway, something has definitely changed in printer behavior after reset, for sure.
I usually print Nylon without a raft but with a brim. I have found that rafts with Nylon are fickle either the part comes off the raft or it sticks on it for good. Its very difficult to get the spacing and extrusion just right for a raft. But then I print mostly Taulman Nylons. Hope you figure it out. I use glue too but only for real big Nylon parts like >200mm
lado last edited by
In my experience with NylonX glue was never required till now. Maybe in this case, it can be caused somehow by incorrect calibration, I don't know if distance between nozzle and bed affects attaching of material. I'm not sure about difference between previous settings and new, but it looks like it prints layers same way as it was before, seems correctly
Distance between Nozzle and bed affects adhesion even with perfect leveling you might have to play with the Z offset a bit to get good adhesion. You want the first layer to be pressed a bit into the bed so it looks a little flatttened - not too much so it makes ripples or is inconsistent or the extruder starts clicking. If you run your finger over the skirt it should feel more dome like than Noodle like. and then there is a 2nd important distance between raft and part - if you are using a raft if that one is too big you come off of the raft if its too small you don't get the raft off
@lado The first thing I notice here is the NylonX you are using looks pretty wet. Nylon is extremely hygroscopic and does absorb moisture. Since you have an XE, you should also have a PrintDry which I would highly recommend letting the spool sit in there for at least 12 hours at 70C to fully dry it.
Additionally, the material should also stick very well to your machines Garolite bed. Nylon really does not like to stick to much outside of that.
In light of this, if you are getting warping issues like this, the gluestick can exasperate this issue do I would clean your bed off using some rubbing alcohol. You would also consider using a Raft or a brim to help expand the surface area of the part to help promote the surface adhesion. Glue shouldn't really ne needed for Garolite and Nylon.
The best way to restore your profiles to factory settings is selecting the upper right hand corner of MatterControl > Reset to defaults.
Thank you for your feedback
It is true this NylonX is quite wet in this case. I've dry it for 9 hours, now it is dry, but sticking problem still exist. It is true, I've never used glue for NylonX till last Reset to defaults. I use raft for specific parts, but I've never tried brim. For cleaning the bed I use usual cleaning spray without alcohol, mostly to remove leftovers easier, not glue, because I was never used it for NylonX till now, should work for glue as well
case. I've dry it for 9 hours, now it is dry, but sticking problem still exist. It is true, I've never used glue for NylonX till last Reset to defaults. I use raft for specific parts, but I've never tried brim. For cleaning the bed I use usual cleaning spray without alcohol, mostly to remove leftovers easier, not glue, because I was never used it for NylonX till now, should work for glue as well
I would highly recommend taking a look at our article on how to succeed when printing with NylonX: