I finally had time today to download and test the new support system. I downloaded the Release version, not the release candidate. I have spent the last 3 hours messing and testing stuff with it and comparing to the old version, 184.108.40.20616.
When I use larger pillar (3-4) settings it does not generate the needed supports and leaves whole areas without.
When I use a small pillar (1.5mm, 2 still not small enough to get good supports) setting it does not connect the pillars so some supports are useless. On one model it added in an interface layer in mid air (no support), though I get this on occasion with the old version as well. But with some slight tweaking to my model the support this version generated was near perfect (Will Print this model). The old version did about the same for supports.
Furthermore the slicing time now takes longer than the old version. At least for the few objects I tested. On average I would say about 50% longer but it is hard to tell exactly as I have to run on different machines. Smaller supports the longer it takes to generate.
And since the 'Support Everywhere' option has been taken out I can not even use this for my prints. I know I can manually add supports in to take care of the issues I have but that defeats the purpose since the old version works better for the most part.
Before the following I did a couple small test prints that didn't take too long with no problems.
(Note: This is the model mentioned previously about the supports)
Now here is what PISSED me off. I went to print a large detailed model. I Sliced it and checked it before printing. I made NO changes to anything and hit Print, and it went to reslice it. It took 18 mins to slice it the first time, now another 18 mins to reslice it. The old version took about 13 mins to slice, and it never resliced anything unless I made a change.
Finally went to print but it had pull up on the brim so it was a failed print. AND THEN IT WENT TO RESLICE AGAIN!!!
This is a MAJOR EPIC FAIL for a release version.
On the brighter side it uses noticeably less CPU/Memory, as previously my sliced parts would have issues as I moved around making sure it created supports it needed. This version is MUCH better.
Also, the slicer appears to have a better algorithm as the pattern was nicer in the new version than the old (at least the first layer before it failed on me and....).