E3d V6 on a MPSM V2 - weird issues, bad thermistor?

• So a month ago I updated my MPSM V2 with a E3D V6, changed the setting for the thermistor and did a PID tune successfully. Prints seemed nicer and all was well. Spent the last two weeks away from the printer and upon return things are not working correctly.

I was under extruding and all my prints where spongy and tore apart easily. I fixed the extruder issue and found I think that the hotend was at least 20 degrees colder then the system was reporting. I upped the temperature and prints are solid except the last one which was much taller then the rest.
    Every 10mm along the entire 70mm height it looks like a ZBand but acts more like a narrow raft as the print easily breaks a the bands.

This is happening on PLA and PETG, though the PLA is worse. Everything is left in a sealed tube with 5 pounds of descant.

Any ideas where I should start looking? (just order a new heater cartridge and thermistor)

• sounds maybe a bit crazy
    i have had the same issue but it was the slicer that messed up, so check your diameter settings

Looks like your connection to MatterHackers Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.