Slicer Problem? Weird extruded vertical wall between circles...

• Just a question to see if anyone else has seen an issue like this. I have a design that I did on tinkercad for a 6.4" diameter ring (internal diameter 5.5") with a height of 0.4". The ring has a channel in it that is 0.3" wide and 0.2" deep from the top. The first one I did was made up using 64 sided cylinders. I have since made my own cylinder in tinkercad that has 256 sides to improve the circular track for such a large diameter. I have printed two rings so far - one with the 64 sides and one with the 256 sides. Now for the weirdness. They both print correctly with their resolution as expected. Their rendered images everywhere look just fine - tinkercad, Windows whatever program, and in Mattercontrol. The weirdness is that both of them have a small wall (maybe 0.05" thick) at the top of the ring vertically bridged between the channel top and bottom walls precisely at 12 o'clock high. It is easy to trim out, but it shouldn't be there... is there a STL analyzer that someone can recommend to dig deeper into the problem or has anyone else seen this? Thanks!

• MatterHackers

@SteveThatcher Since the design appears to slice, there should not be any geometrical obnormalities for it not to print. You can use Autodesk Meshmixer to do a mesh query to determine if anything is askew.

• @scott-cahoon said in Slicer Problem? Weird extruded vertical wall between circles...:

Autodesk Meshmixer

Thanks for the pointer to mesh mixer...

downloaded mesh mixer and the stl image looks fine without the silly wall there. Did the mesh query and nothing was wrong. Must be the slicer...

• MatterHackers

The issue is that the slicing engine needs to start and stop the loop that is the outside edge somewhere and it tries to do this at a point that will minimally impact the quality of the print. Usually this is in an internal edge or turn, but in the case of a cylinder it chooses the point most to the back of the print. That way it is easy to turn your print on the bed so that you can 'hide the seam' in the back.

Hope that helps.

Looks like your connection to MatterHackers Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.