First layer issue

  • I've had my Ender-3 for a little over a year and have been using Matter Control for about 8 months. That being said I still consider myself a novice because I've only been printing in earnest for the last month or so. Most of my projects have been small but I have noticed the occasional missing line (short segments) of filament and I kind of ignored it because for me it was more cosmetic than anything. Today I tried to print something bigger and important (for a project I'm working on) and you can see the areas where consecutive runs of filament aren't bonding together and started to curl up away from the print bed. I think (because I'm still very new at this) that this is under-extrusion but I'm not sure. If it is, what would be the best way to address it? I'm using Overture PLA+ with the hot end at 215 and the bed at 65. I haven't really had problems with adhesion until now (I have a glass bed and I've been happy with it), but I would like to get this figured out. I was able to finish this print but the face, which is usually smooth as glass, looks a little chewed up. I appreciate any insight you all may have. 1_1642638144555_end plate.jpg 0_1642638144554_end plate 1.jpg

  • MatterHackers

    What is your first layer speed?

    This doesn't look like underextrusion.

    Printing straight on bare glass can be a little tricky with bed adhesion. It may be something as simple as a fingerprint or 2 in the wrong spot that makes the PLA not adhere to those areas.

  • @cope413 I recently started experimenting with PrusaSlicer and I noticed that my Ender 3 is printing a lot faster. I had shown these pictures to a couple of folks that I have purchased 3D printed products from and they basically said the same thing you did. I just looked at the settings in PrusaSlicer and first layer speed is set at 30mm/s and the first layer height is 0.35mm. For reference, the same settings in M/C are 20mm/s and .20mm respectively. I wanted to try PrusaSlicer because James Fewster, who prints commercially, had high praise for it. One of the things I noticed is that an STL file exported by M/C and then imported into PrusaSlicer reports the there are various errors that need to be fixed (which it does). I re-slice and export the file as Gcode, then open that Gcode in Matter Control and print it (a bit involved I admit). It seemed that, overall, I was getting better prints, except when there was a large first layer surface area as in this item. Based on your suggestions I think I will go back to this single layer test print with the slower and lower settings and see if it makes a difference. As to your second point, I do thoroughly clean the build plate with IPA between each print (looking for fingerprints) and they are generally stuck on there pretty good. Thank you for your response.

Log in to reply

Looks like your connection to MatterHackers Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.