How to change filament on Pulse. It only backs up half way

• Hello I am new to the Pulse XE. I have been printing with Nylon pro series with massive shrinkage so I wan tot change to the Nylon X and on the control panel I go to change filament and the nozzle heats and and the feeder backs up the filament a little bit then stops. Ok so no the filament is somewhere halfway between the 2 feeder motors. How do I now get i out. I cannot yank it past the first feeder motor. I would expect the first feeder motor to back up all the way out.

• @surfmagic Ok solved it. By the way the nylon X was great. no warping, great adhesion and great shape.

• @surfmagic In Mattercontrol, on the printer menu at right side of screen, on the "Features" tab, near the bottom, there are two parameters: "Load Filament Length" and "Unload Filament Length."

I have not played around with them yet, but I had a similar issue going back from NylonX to Ryno - I tried to yank the filament out when it hit resistance at the extruder by releasing tension on the extruder gears, and it popped out using moderate force without doing any damage.

Not sure if those parameters work like I think they do (piss poor documentation from Matterhackers) but maybe it's worth a try.

• @surfmagic My pulse was spec'd to include a filament out sensor which it did not come with. However the sensor is set to on in printer settings and in mattercontrol. With those on my filament unload from mattercontrol always failed the 1st time, Doing it again always worked. Turn off the sensor in marlin and mattercontrol should solve that problem. you will need to do an m500 to save the setting in firmware. I have found that the load/unload lengths in mattercontrol do work. Load/unload on the lcd screen do not work because the matterhackers firmware has the limits set at 200. I can't currently compile it to change it though. (semi-opensource at best, with vague email responses from you know who)

• @ibbro Matterhackers discontinued the use of the filament run out switch due to poor reliability. You can turn the feature on which activates the switch on the Azteeg board. I have the wiring diagram if needed. I printed the Matterhackers switch out. It is basically just a bearing that presses up against a microswitch. It looks cool, but it's janky. No wonder Matterhackers had a problem with it. You can buy decent filament switches for $5 on ebay and get it working.

• MatterHackers

@thwclw In general these settings are made for very advanced users, those building a custom machine (like you guys) or the original manufactures, that said, what would you like see improved in the documentation?

0_1623767128808_7dbebc32-d065-4212-914c-08620a6faec7-image.png

Setting this value will feed in or out the number of mm of filament specified. If it doesn't please let us know and we will get it fixed.

• @larsbrubaker Hi Lars,

Thanks for posting.

I would like to see a comprehensive .PDF that has all the information pertinent to the Pulse XE in one place.

The information compiled in the documentation should include information/data for all options available for the Pulse.

I Paid a lot of money for the 32 bit upgrade and expected the upgraded components to be part of Matterhackers documentation. Instead, I could not find information specific to the Azteeg board or the Smoothieware software components. When I was trying to immerse myself in the learning process of actually using the machine, I would repeatedly end up at dead ends - For example when I was learning about extruder calibration, I did not realize that there was no eprom to program with smoothieware so I wandered around in the desert for a while before an email was answered from support telling me where to update the data. If this was covered in some comprehensive documetation, a lot of time and frustration could have been avoided. It seems like all of the documentation assumes that you have a standard configuration model and does not cover upgrades.

There should be one place to go to get answers to questions concerning the physical hardware (including options) and Mattercontrol software.

If you sell a third party product that is incorporated into a product you produce, it is incumbent upon you to provide the context and documentation needed for the user to be able to leverage the enhancement.

When I bought the Pulse, I was under the impression that it was a Prusa clone and did not realize that I would be tethered to Mattercontrol. While I think Mattercontrol is very easy to use and seems to be quite functional (I have not been stymied by any perceived limitations yet), I think that because you have pretty much forced the use of Mattercontrol even when just printing g-code produced by other slicers you have reduced the value of my purchase.

When I decided to buy my first 3D Printer, I selected the Pulse XE for the following reasons:

1.) It was produced in the USA (albeit with foreign components) by Matterhackers so a good chunk of the money would remain here in our economy helping to provide jobs here.

2.) Matterhackers helped to short-cut the learning process needed to determine what components would be required to print functional parts - The Pulse XE was ready out of the box to provide function quickly.

3.) I was under the impression that Matterhackers support was excellent based on searching the web for anecdotal experience. I rarely call a company for support, so I don't know how that rates, but I have not had very quick turnaround with email support - several days pass before you get a response and then the response will likely not answer all the questions posed or simplistic answers will be provided. So I believe I was mistaken about the quality of support from Matterhackers. To be fair, Covid19 has probably had a negative impact on support.

4.) Lots of online videos and "tutorials" but I expected to see more support from the "community"

What I found after the purchase is that most of these are still valid reasons to select the Pulse but the value side of the equation is a bit lower than expected when you consider how much time you have to spend to learn more about the machine and software.

• @thwclw I don't think that Lars works on the hardware side of these printers, just MatterControl, software, etc.

• I struggled for months with my Azteeg board. It displayed defective behavior and I was sure that I had received a defective control board. After 80 or so emails back and forth with MattherHackers support, I gave up and added a Duet3D board, replacing the Azteeg board I had paid so much for. Turns out after talking to a friend who sells printers, it wasn't just my board, but all of them. This is not a problem that can be solved with firmware. Azteeg works for users who want a push button printer, but not so much for advanced users or production users like myself. The Duet3 board made the Pulse XE perform the way it should have from the beginning. But Duet is not for everyone, you really have to sit down and learn gcodes.

I don't know what advice to give you. This is what worked for me. I am sure the MatterHacker guys will throw tomatoes at me, but I speak the truth here. Duet3 control board with my single motor gantry lift made the Pulse XE a reliable, precision printer. The way it came from the factory just was more of a limited hobbyist printer.

• @tinken Thanks!

I'll take a look at the github links.

Interesting modifications on your machine - The single motor gantry lift makes sense . I wonder if servo motors would have made a difference for dual motor approach - no lost steps and you always know where you are with servos. My CNC router uses all servos and it has been reliable and accurate since 2012.

Thanks again.

Looks like your connection to MatterHackers Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.