Quality vs Material profiles

• Hi,

Can someone please explain why Material profiles have the same parameters as Quality profiles instead of just having parameters related to materials.

For example: "Layer Thickness" parameter always comes from a Quality profile. Why is there a "Layer Thickness" parameter in a Material profile?

Thank you in advance.

• I've wondered this myself and thought it was redundant, until I wanted to print nylon on build-tak. So I made a material profile, nylon, for build-tak.

Could I have made it under the quality profile list? Sure, but now i can choose a quality for a specific material for a specific condition. This allows me to have different settings for specific materials on different bed surfaces.

The different color highlights to the side of the input fields helps me differentiate between whether I'm adjusting a quality preset or a material preset.

Sorry, I know this doesn't answer your question perfectly or possibly at all.

• MatterHackers

@HAMprinter has the idea of it. We can't know all the possible things that might need to be adjusted for a given quality or material, so we allowed the entire set to be considered. It can add some confusion and clearly they are not all relevant, but we have seen some unexpected benefit from having the larger set.

• Ok, fair enough, you have more options this way but there is still a critical part missing.

You have Quality Presets (yellow layer), Material Presets (orange layer) and Other changes (blue layer)
    The yellow and orange layers can be saved and retrieved but the blue layer, the obvious place to fine tune slicer settings, can not.

This means you have to manually enter the blue layer settings in to a yellow or orange layer if you want to reuse them later. This is substandard. There must be a way to save the blue layer settings in to a yellow or orange layer or as a separate setting.

The slicer settings do not just depend on Quality and Materials being used but also on what is being printed and it is very common to have different slicer settings for the same quality and materials.

• MatterHackers

Agreed :). We plan to add the ability to push any Blue override down into the current Material or Quality setting (you can push them to default now but it will be better if you can push them where you want).

• HI Lars,

Thank you for your reply. It's good to know someone thinks I make sense.

I just updated to 2.20.9.10593 but it doesn't look like it's there. Has this been implemented and if not when do you think it will be?

Looks like your connection to MatterHackers Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.