Continue printing from card after a power outage with Pulse XE

• Hello,

I've received Pulse XE few days ago. I've already printed number of small models successfully with exception of some small difficulties with gluing of nylon to bad, because have quite small experience in printing process by myself

Yesterday I've started a quite big mechanical part, which was required about 12 hours, but unlike small models, which was printed from MatterControl application and USB connection, I've start this big model from SD card

Unfortunately when 80% was already printed, electricity turned off for few minutes, UPS also did not work, because the battery was discharged.

I've turned off the printer cord from the outlet. Now I'm trying to figure out, what can I do, to not lost time and material. Manual way I can imagine:

1. Мeasure the size of the printed part, then cut printed from 3D model, print and glue. I did this once, and it is not the best way, considering I am printing mechanical parts

2. Somehow find actual layer position where nozzle stopped and start print from this point, but I don't know if it is possible in my case with printing from SD card

If the Pulse XE stores the current value of the layer, position and measurement of done and remaining work to continue printing model after a power outage, or if I'm able to find all this values manually, for example with help of application or any other way, please give me a steps guide, what can I do to get best result in this situation

I'm not sure, maybe when I will turn on the printer, it will suggest printing from a current point just by default or by proper actions required from me, but before you turn it on, I would like to get advice from experience users

Any advice, guide or example would useful

• I got a Pulse for almost a year - and it happened a couple of times to me and the only thing that works in my setup is when the computer looses power I was never able to recover from an SD card failed print. I assume your print is lost simply after that much time you most likely lost bed adhesion as it is cold now.

With the Nylon I can help. Get a garolite build plate and a glue stick and that works great with every Nylon I tried so far. Bed temp 60-95 depending on what Nylon you use and how big the part is the bigger the higher the bed temps seems to work for me. Make sure you slow the print down enough with Nylon if you want good layer adhesion (8-10 mm3/sec max with Taulman bridge and 910) and if yo'u have a small nozzle don't exceed 30mm/sec anyway.

To make sure - I don't work for Matterhackers I am just an old dude with a pulse lol

• @mpirringer

Hello,

I use garolite and Elmer's tick with Nylon X, but I've added quite wide stand plates to parts, to adhere material with surface, which then must be cut off, because In a few cases even square centimeter field were peeled off during printing just with starting, but this is most likely my small experience with printing

What about unexpected power shut down, it must be not too difficult task, to make printer be able find out with such situation programmatically, but I'm not sure if Pulse XE includes this, this actually should be "Resume printing" function:

1. Store in real-time values to some inbuilt storage, which must be X Y Z actual layer position and actual position in given model measurement
    2. With turning on, just choose or even detect unexpected power shot down, if printer was shut down without normal turning off condition (which can be found logically or at least with using of some accumulated device etc. )
    3. Keep actual stopped position in place
    4. Make automatic preheat to avoid sticking of nozzle with material (if it is impossible immediately after power shot down from some inbuilt accumulated source) with careful lift up of nozzle from printed surface to avoid more melting in stop point during heating of nozzle and bed, to reach given temperatures
    5. Back to the end point and continue printing from model actual position

• I agree with the power resume that it could be accomplished by keeping a log and maybe one day Marlin will do that.

As for adhesion I have not printed NylonX as I don't have a ruby Nozzle but with other Nylons. Most like to be pressed a bit into the build plate you have to see if it separates from the build plate or from the other layers of the print. If it separates from the build plate increase the bed temp and decrease the Z offset as you got to press the Nylon a bit into the plate for it to adhere kinda like PLA. If it separates from the rest of the print then maybe slow down the print (lower the mm/s in the speed setting in mattercontrol) and/or raise the Nozzle temp. It is important that you only try one thing at a time as otherwise you do not know what worked but printing Nylon is not too tough we have printed whole planetary gear boxes 150mm in diameter and 90mm high in Nylon on our Pulse You can see one of our Nylon prints in action here
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zc8aCmlF_XU&t=29s

So try small and make some test prints that test layer and bed adhesion Print a stick upright I made one 5x15 mm and 80mm high. printed with a 6mm brim if it finishes you got good enough bed adhesion. If you cant break it layer adhesion is fine too. And one more thing on nylon I don't go above 50% nozzle width in layer height (i.e. .2mm on a .4mm nozzle)

• @mpirringer

Thank you for your answer

I've tried to find Print Recovery for further, but I can't see Options for Enable Recovery in MatterControl 2.0. Anyway, I'm not sure, how such way works, if power shut down will affect connected computer with MatterControl

By the way, exporting of data to SD card takes about 4 minutes, it seems different from Cura process, which makes this in second. Maybe in this case would be better to write to SD Card from Cura. But I'm not sure, how to set Cura properly for Pulse XE and Nylon X, except temperatures, some guide on this would be also very useful

Looks like your connection to MatterHackers Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.