Subtract not working

• @michael-petitclerc that's the version that I'm on. Windows 10 amd procs. 64bit. One is an HP laptop, other is home built quad core, 16GB DDR3

• Hi All,
    New here just signed up and noticed this thread.
    Just to confirm I am having the same problem using build 2.19.2.10169
    and Windows 10 Pro, Amd processor (AMD FX 4350 Quad-Core 4.20 GHz),16GB DDR3. Also on my HP laptop.

• This post is deleted!

• @maker1 if you watch the video I linked, that's what I did.

• @67exec

Oops sorry I did'nt see the video link ā˜¹

Deleted.

• I have tried complete uninstall and reinstall, still no luck. May try an alpha or beta build to see if that helps

• MatterHackers

Unfortunately, we have not yet been able to replicate this issue on our end, so hunting the bug down is not exactly easy at the moment. If you did try to reinstall, you would need to wipe the folder found in your AppData folder under Local>Mattercontrol.

• I will try that and see what I get

• I just installed the software today and I'm having the same issue. The subtract function just causes the selected area to go kind of light or greyed out.

• Not only is the function not working but if I make a second attempt at the subtraction the selected shapes all show as "subtract".

• Same problem here subtract not removing part it just grays it out

• I have tried this software on 4 computers it is very nice but every time i load it on a windows 7 pro 64 bit the subtract tool does not work but works fine on 32 bit

• MatterHackers

Thanks for the feedback. Polygon mesh subtraction is a very complex computational geometry problem and we are definitely working to improve it. You can always file issues in GitHub if you would like our development team to look into what is happening.

Thanks.

• Hello šŸ™‚

First of all: MatterControl 2 is awesome.

I want to use it in my school workshop now as cloud based services depend on the poor internet connection here- And MC has awesome features!

Sadly on almost all machines, the subtract feature does not work as described in this thread as well. Any known fix?

It works in the Alpha-build, as well as on two computers (with identical specs, I have not checked differences in things like .net or similar, yet)

Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit Build 17134.706
    (A PC where it's working has .648, but one also 706)
    Hardware: Intel E8500=3.16GHz/4-6GB/160GB

MatterControl versions:
    2.19.2.10169 Does not work.
    2.19.2.10116 Does not work
    2.0.0.9794 = Works, but crashes very frequently šŸ˜‰

I tried re-installing, deleting the local appdata dir, as well as copying the working version from another computer (including appdata).

Thank you so much for your time šŸ™‚ ā¤

• MatterHackers

We are working to improve it. Just to give you some tech info - subtract requires very clean geometry. The solution we use in Windows is from LIBIGL, a very sophisticated research tool, it can handle most meshes but not if they have holes. We have started working on mesh repair tools and will have the very first bits in the next release. That said, I expect it will be a few more months before you can tell we are significantly better at fixing general meshes (probably what you are having trouble with).

• @larsbrubaker
    Thank you for your quick reply!
    I can understand that it wouldn't work with some geometry-
    But it's not working under any circumstances (e.g. even subtracting a cube from a cube) while it works perfectly fine from another computer.

So it's a generic problem not related to the type of mesh/geometry, and rather random (given that it does not occur on a few machines with the exact same configuration).

The old beta version works fine on all of the machines but does crash at times.

• Same here.
    I am a brand new user and working on my first project.
    I was trying to subtract a slope from a rectangle and it wasn't working and thought I must have been doing something wrong, so I opened a fresh project to experiment with to figure it out.
    Even on a clean slate, with 2 primitive cubes, with no adjustments, just 2 bog-standard 20x20x20 cubes straight off the menu, it can't subtract an overlapping corner.
    All it does it groups them, well, double groups them actually. I have to ungroup, then ungroup again to separate them.
    I tried to save the STL and load it into 123D (gasp) and cut it there instead, but the entire project ends up grouped as one object and 123D cant ungroup it, so...... no luck there either.
    Looks like I am going to have to start from scratch in 123D and maybe check back on MatterControl once its a bit further along in development.
    I'm running on Win10, with an Intel i7.
    I really hope you can sort it out.

On a side note, I couldn't get it to connect to my printer, a cocoon create touch, which is a rebranded Wanhao duplicator i3 plus, which is essentially a commercial Prusa RepRap.
    It just continually says no printer found even though I can see the ramps listed in the system devices, and Cura connects fine.
    I even tried manually selecting the COM but it still says there is no one home.
    But the subtract issue is WAY more important, I can always us an SDcard.

P.s. 1.6k views on this topic, so I would say there are a LOT of people having this issue, not just the few who have posted.

• Hi

I've tried Windows 10 64-Bit and Linux Ubuntu Mate 18 64-Bit versions and I can't get the Subtract to work in either.

The work around I have had to use is to create the holes I need with tubes and build the rest of the structure around it.

Is there anything I can do to help find out why the Subtract function isn't working?

• Iā€™m also am having the same problem, imported a design from thingverse, tried to modify it using subtract and nothing happened
    Win 10

• Love MatterControl... But there is definitively some issues when subtracting. In my case, when you try to subsequent subtract more than one time the same element, the item disappears or the application status bar gets stuck. If you try to subtract from a mid complex item, same issues happens. šŸ˜ž

I tough that maybe have to do with objects that are grouped, but even when they are flattened, its impossible to make it work in 98% of the cases.

Code team... please solve this issue.

Looks like your connection to MatterHackers Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.