FAQ / Common Issues

• Frequently Asked Questions

If you don't find an answer here, please also have a look at the MatterControl Documentation.

Will MatterControl work with my printer?

This mainly depends on the language your printer speaks. Currently, MatterControl supports two languages for communicating with the printer; G-Code and S3G/X3G. G-Code is the standard language used by RepRaps and most other printers. S3G is a condensed language used by Makerbot and Flashforge. In all likelihood, your printer speaks G-Code.

In addition, you will need appropriate slice settings for your printer. MatterControl has built in profiles for many printers. Here is the complete list. If your printer is not on the list, don't worry. You will just need to fill in the settings yourself. Obtain specifications from the manufacturer and input them into MatterControl under 'Settings & Controls -> Settings -> Printer' as well as a few under 'Settings & Controls -> Settings -> Filament'.

Why are my objects the wrong scale?

STL files do not store any information about what units their dimensions are in. MatterControl (and all other 3D printing software) expects the dimensions in STL files to be given in mm. Most CAD software, though, will export STL files with whatever units they were designed in (usually inches). Thus, when you bring your designs into MatterControl they will be the wrong scale.

The best solutions is to figure out how to get your design software to export STL files in millimeters. In SolidWorks, for instance, the Save As dialog has an Options button, that allows you to set many parameters for exporting an STL.

If you cannot get your design software to do this, though, you can still rescale the part once you have it in MatterControl. Edit the part, then choose Scale from the bar on the right. There is a drop down menu that will let you from many common conversion factors.

How do I install the drivers for my printer?

If you are on a Mac or Linux, the drivers are already built in to the system and you do not need to install anything.

If you are on Windows, MatterControl will automatically attempt to install the necessary drivers when you add your printer. Sometimes this doesn't work. To install the drivers manually, do the following:

1. Open the Windows Device Manager. You can find it by just opening the Start menu and typing in "Device Manager."
    2. Find your printer. Usually it will be under the category "Ports (COM & LPT)", but if the driver is not installed it may be listed as an unknown device.
    3. Right click on it and choose "Update Driver Software."
    4. Choose to "Browse my computer for driver software."
    5. Choose the folder C:\Program Files (x86)\MatterControl\StaticData\Drivers
    6. Click Next and the drivers will install

Where can I get alpha or beta builds of MatterControl?

Alpha and Beta builds of MatterControl are available for users that want to test the latest features at the risk of experiencing bugs or crashes. Alpha builds are published several weeks before a stable release. If no bugs are found, it will be promoted to Beta and eventually to Stable.

On MatterControl Desktop, go to the Help menu at the top, then choose Check for Update. Switch the Update Channel to Beta or Alpha.

On the MatterControl Touch, go to Options. Under Application Settings, switch the Update Notification Feed to Beta or Alpha.

If you experience an issue with an alpha or beta build, please report it either to the GitHub issue tracker or to support@matterhackers.com. Be sure to include the build number. It can be found at the bottom of the About screen. The last four digits are the important part.

Experimental builds are also available. These contain the absolute latest code, and are offered to select users in order to get feedback on new features and ideas. They are intended only for testing and should not be considered reliable, stable or even working (from time to time). To request an experimental release, send an email to support@matterhackers.com. If you are using this version to gain access to a new feature please update to the stable version as soon as the feature is available. Advanced users can also compile MatterControl from source.

How do I clear the application data?

On Windows, MatterControl keeps the user's library and settings in C:\Users\{user}\AppData\Local\MatterControl. On Mac and Linux it is in ~/.local/share/MatterControl. This data will persist, even after MatterControl is uninstalled. Remove that folder if you want to completely reset MatterControl to a clean slate. You can also temporarily rename the SQLite database file (MatterControl.db) to see if your settings are the cause of a problem.

I have Intel integrated graphics and MatterControl crashes

There is a known issue with MatterControl and the Windows drivers for certain integrated Intel graphics chipsets. If you are having crashes or graphics related issues, please send an email to support@matterhackers.com. Include the following information in your report:

• The make/model of your computer
    • Your GPU model number
    • Your OS version
    • The version number of your Intel graphics drivers

In the mean time, there is a workaround. You can launch MatterControl with the FORCE_SOFTWARE_RENDERING option, which disables all 3D graphics. Add the parameter FORCE_SOFTWARE_RENDERING to the Target field of the MatterControl shortcut. To do so, right click MatterControl shortcut either in the start menu or elsewhere. Select 'Properties' and edit the 'Target' field. Just add FORCE_SOFTWARE_RENDERING after the quotes. The whole target should read like this:

"C:Program FilesMatterControlMatterControl.exe" FORCE_SOFTWARE_RENDERING

Looks like your connection to MatterHackers Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.