MatterControl 1.7.0 on Linux - Can't open a file to load - No file dialog

• Hi, Just installed MatterControl onto a Linux machine I have for printing. Have been using RepetierHost & Slic3r previously.

Installed all ok, up and running, printed calibration cube, which was showing after install, as a test, all good.

Went to add another object into the queue with any of the Add buttons for menu drop down and no dialog appears to allow the selection of a file.
    Run as user or as root, same issue (thought it might have been a perms issue top open the dialog).

Version installed is 1.7.0 on Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS.

Any help would be gratefully received.

TIA.

A.

• Can you run MatterControl from a terminal and see if any messages are printed when you hit the Add button?

• Sorry for the slow response on this. Been busy.
    Nothing extra appears in the terminal when pushing the add button, just a start up notice about waiting for a connection on port 52799, then a 'Connected to a device channel' followed by a long string of alphanumeric characters, followed by a 'Connected to user channel' and another long string of alphanumeric characters. That's it until MatterControl is exitied and a prompt is returned back in the console.

• Sometimes the dialog opens up underneath the main window, so it is hidden at first. Can you check and make sure this isn't the case?

• I'm having the same problem. The dialog is not hidden, it's not even opening. When running from a terminal, here's what I get when I click on Add:

(process:23581): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: /build/buildd-glib2.0_2.33.12+really2.32.4-5-i386-eISom6/glib2.0-2.33.12+really2.32.4/./gobject/gtype.c:2722: You forgot to call g_type_init()

(process:23581): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_once_init_leave: assertion 'result != 0' failed

(process:23581): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: /build/buildd-glib2.0_2.33.12+really2.32.4-5-i386-eISom6/glib2.0-2.33.12+really2.32.4/./gobject/gtype.c:2722: You forgot to call g_type_init()

(process:23581): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_type_add_interface_static: assertion 'G_TYPE_IS_INSTANTIATABLE (instance_type)' failed

(process:23581): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_type_interface_add_prerequisite: assertion 'G_TYPE_IS_INTERFACE (interface_type)' failed

(process:23581): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_once_init_leave: assertion 'result != 0' failed

(process:23581): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_type_add_interface_static: assertion 'G_TYPE_IS_INSTANTIATABLE (instance_type)' failed

^C

At that point I had to hit Control-C as the program was locked up.

• @michvhf, what distro are you on?

• Hi

The same on my linux box.

Nothing appear after clicking "add" button.

And no output on console.

Linux Mint 18.1 Serena

Best regards.

Kura.

• @unlimitedbacon Debian Wheezy 7.1. I also have it running on another machine (Debian 8.8) and it runs fine except if you need to flip the part over it won't come out of edit mode and it doesn't save - even tho it says it did. The file that was queued also disappears when you hit save.

• I have no idea.😒

• Same here.
    Tho' my terminal says:

"Waiting for a connection on port 52797...
    Web exception occurred. Status code: SecureChannelFailure
    Connected to device channel: ag9zfm1hdHRlcmNvbnRyb2xyLwsSB1Byb2plY3QYgICAiOCSzAsMCxIOQ2xpZW50Q29uc3VtZXIYgICA4LOkiQoM
    Connected to user channel: agxzfmJydWhhLWF1dGhyGAsSC1VzZXJQcm9maWxlGICAgITpiYELDA
    Web exception occurred. Status code: Timeout
    Request Failed: Unable to connect to server"

The printer is not switched on, which may or may not be relevant.

You can work around it by putting your models in ~/Downloads/ and selecting "Downloads" in the Library section.

• Sorry this has taken so long, guys. Can you all try the latest alpha version for Linux and see if that fixes the problem?

MatterControl Linux Alpha 1.7.5.9469

• Will do.
    Shan't promise to do it quickly though... 😉

• I installed it, and it straight away said there is an update to install... :?
    Still not giving me a file dialogue, but I've been having some other issues, so I've not tried very hard yet.

• It is not the latest "official" version, so it will think there is an update available. Do not install the update.

What distro are you on and what desktop environment are you using?

• OK, have re-installed, but still no joy.
    I'm on Mint 18 Cinnamon, but I think I may move to Mint 17: 18 seems full of problems.

• I just tried it in a completely fresh Linux Mint 18.2 Cinnamon VM and it works fine. What do you get when you run mono --version? If you install the gtk-sharp2 package, does that help?

• I had the same problem at Mint 18.2. Solved with

sudo apt-get install gtk-sharp2

Thanks for the hint.

• Ok. I will add that as a dependency to the package and make an official release.

• Apologies again for the delay. I have it installed and am now able to open a file dialogue, but I am unable to log in: the login window sits indefinitely on "Please Wait. Signing in."

Run through a terminal, it is saying: "Web exception occurred. Status code: SendFailure"

In case this helps:
    ~ $ mono --version
    Mono JIT compiler version 3.2.8 (Debian 3.2.8+dfsg-4ubuntu1.1)
    Copyright (C) 2002-2014 Novell, Inc, Xamarin Inc and Contributors. www.mono-project.com
    TLS: __thread
    SIGSEGV: altstack
    Notifications: epoll
    Architecture: amd64
    Disabled: none
    Misc: softdebug
    LLVM: supported, not enabled.
    GC: sgen

• That is a VERY old version of Mono. MatterControl does not support Mono versions before 4.4. There are instructions for upgrading on the wiki.

• :oops:

Looks like your connection to MatterHackers Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.