Radiused corners

• Hi everyone, just wondering if anyone has any tips for creating radiused corners (internal and external) on a flat plate? My interest is prototyping mounts and structures for sensors/cameras for onboard an gyrocopter so weight and stress from sharp corners are important.

I have seen how you can convert an image and get what seems like smoothed corners in the image to path but can't see an easy way of doing it for objects picked from the left hand side (for example a cube flattened to make a plate).

I am a total noob when it comes to this as I am trying to teach myself a new skill and thought this would be useful. Thanks in advance! 🙂

• MatterHackers

Hey @308win

What you want to do cannot be done efficiently in Mattercontrol but it can be done before when the model is designed. Most CAD systems call the function a Fillet or Chamfer. Here is a brief video from Autodesk about using the functions as a reference.

Personally, I like to use Fusion360 as it is really powerful yet simple to use. Plus their YouTube guides are some of the best I have seen for features in a CAD system.

• @michael-petitclerc

Many thanks for the reply. I will have a look at Fusion360 and see what it does and how it does it. I am just dabbling at the moment but if it's more of a CAD type programme that is an easy to use option (I don't have huge amounts of time to dedicate to being a CAD technician - I have enough jobs!) then it might be spot on for the prototyping and then to import into Mattercontrol.

Thanks for the steer 🙂

• MatterHackers

Yeah, learning CAD is quite time consuming and can really feel like a second job when trying to fight with it every night because it will not loft from one sketch to another but if reversed it will! Sorry that was a struggle of mine that has been going on for a better part of a year.

Basic knowledge of a CAD system will open up a number of different programs as they all use the same functions but just name them differently and sometimes package them differently.

What ever happens I hope you find what you need!

Looks like your connection to MatterHackers Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.