How to get inner dimensions (holes) more accurate?

• This post is deleted!

• Have you calibrated your extruder recently? Over-extrusion is often to blame for small inner dimensions.

https://www.matterhackers.com/articles/how-to-calibrate-your-extruder

• This post is deleted!

• @daven said:

How do you explain the outer dimensions being also too small?

Ah, sorry, I missed that. I need to read better. 😕

If both inner and outer are too small then it sounds like an incorrect 'steps per mm' value or values (delta or Cartesian, respectively) for the X, Y, and Z motors which is or are set in either your printer's EEProm or firmware, depending on the printer.

• This post is deleted!

• 'Steps per mm' is how many electrical pulses need to be sent to the motor in order to produce a move of 1 mm. If the value is too low, the motor will not move far enough to move 1 mm.

In your case, this translate to the motors not moving far enough in every direction as the nozzle is drawing the part. If the nozzle doesn't physically move far enough, the object will be smaller than it is supposed to be. Users who just design the part a little bigger are working around the problem, not solving it.

Do keep in mind that a variance of 0.2 mm is pretty small, and even the most precise consumer-level printers are going to be limited to a tolerance of about half the nozzle diameter. In this case, I'd say 0.2 mm might be as close as you can expect to get.

• This post is deleted!

• It's an interesting concept, to be sure. The article you referenced seems legitimate, but we probably won't be able to independently verify its accuracy.

That said, we'd be interested to know if you are able to confirm the conclusions made in the article and if you are able to find out any more information.

However, if you're getting a result that is within half the nozzle diameter then that's good enough-- as far as we're concerned. Personally I usually resign to the fact that holes will probably not be the right size and I'll have to drill them manually if I want perfection.

• This post is deleted!

• I'll make a note for the development team about a hole dimension compensation tool. It's a good thought.

@daven said:

Is there a development plan for MatterControl published somewhere?

MatterControl's development is decided two weeks at a time. Current bugs, feature requests, and other problems are documented in the MatterControl GitHub repository and the highest priority items (as decided by the lead developers) are assigned to individual coders who work on it for a two-week period we call a "sprint". Issues can be broken down into smaller tasks so they can be distributed and we meet the goal of having all work done in the two-week period.

As such we do not have a long-term development plan, but a fluid structure which allows us to change focus relatively quickly but stay productive.

@daven said:

Do you know how to automatically scale every part in MatterControl?

Assuming you're asking about some kind of batch function that would automatically scale every item in the QUEUE or LIBRARY, that functionality does not exist. The only method of scaling in MatterControl is Edit mode and is for one model at a time: http://wiki.mattercontrol.com/3D_VIEW/Edit#SCALE

• This post is deleted!

• This post is deleted!

Looks like your connection to MatterHackers Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.