Witch 3D printer to buy as a begginer

• Thanks for your time, I´m looking for buying a 3D printer, can you help me telling me witch can be the best one for a begginer?? between the SeeMeCNC Rostock MAX v3 or the LulzBot Taz 6??? I will like to have an option by printing with different filaments.

• Both of these printers are good for a beginner.

If you buy the Rostock MAX V3 as a kit you will have the experience of assembling the printer yourself-- which becomes invaluable when the time comes for troubleshooting since you already know the intricacies of its operation. The cylindrical build volume is very large at about 23 million cubic millimeters, which makes the Rostock one of the better values for the price (of the kit). The hot end can reach a temperature of 280 (250 stock, but you can buy an additional piece to replace the PTFE liner to allow temps up to 280).

The TAZ 6 build volume is also very large at 19 million cubic millimeters, but it is more cubic in shape as it's a Cartesian printer. The stock hot end goes to 300°C so you can print any consumer-level filament type out there, including Polycarbonate. The printer comes mostly assembled so you still have to put a few piece together, but it takes less than 20 minutes to do so. One advantage that the TAZ has over the Rostock is the ability to easily upgrade to a dual extrusion system (not recommended for beginners).

Both printers have hardware leveling functionality, and both are open source and well supported by their manufacturers and their communities.

If you have more questions you can post here, email us at support@matterhackers.com, call us at +1-949-613-5838, or stop by our showroom in Foothill Ranch, California. Thanks for your interest!

• Personally, I would not consider the Rostock for a beginner (note, I am speaking from experience using the v1, so I could be wrong about the latest v3, take this advice with a grain of salt). When I had picked up my v1, it kept jamming and the movement of the arms were showing slop (kept sticking or overshooting, depending on very slight adjustments to its tightness), it wasn't until I bought a few upgrades from Trick Laser (brand new arms) and got a new hotend (E3D v6 I think) that things started to go smoothly. That being said, I've been a 3D printer hobbyist for a while now, and I still have trouble printing large objects due to warping and splitting, so having such a large build volume doesn't necessarily mean better. I will say it's not so pleasing having to cancel a 15 hour print when you're about 5 hours into it.

As for the LulzBot, never had it, but it looks like a pretty standard Cartesian model. For the price, though, it seems a bit expensive for what it gives you out of the box.

If I were to recommend anything, I would probably suggest the Flashforge Creator Pro. It has a smaller build area, but for the price (less than $1000) and what you get directly out of the box (Dual extruders, heated platform, enclosed build area, LCD + SD card reader, two random 1kg rolls of filament, etc) it is totally a steal. Most of the features it comes with would have costed you extra making those upgrades anyway. Even though it is pretty cheap, they did not sacrifice part quality; I have had no urge to upgrade anything except the spool holder arms (since they only fit Flashforge brand spools), luckily the arms detach and replacements can be 3D printed.

- Lochemage

Looks like your connection to MatterHackers Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.