What is the perfect distance in mm between nozzle and printer bed or nozzle and printed object?

• If I could measure/calibrate the nozzle-object distance with an accuracy of 0.01 mm, what distance would I shoot for? 0.10 mm (paper thickness)?

• For calibration, the thickness of a sheet of paper is usually the best distance from the nozzle to the bed. Standard procedure is to use a piece of paper while setting the Z height using the LCD controls. Lower the nozzle slowly (0.01 mm at a time) and slide the paper underneath. When the paper no longer slides freely but is still able to move without binding, set the Z height to zero.

• Thanks Ryan

• MatterHackers

Hey guys,

I wanted to just add a little clarity from the engines perspective. Ryan has described the correct way to calibrate the printer, and even a little pressure on the paper can result in printer being at a true zero. But to be clear, if you could calibrate the printer perfectly, zero is zero. Just exactly touching the bed with no pressure at all.

Where is zero on a perfectly calibrated printer?

• The nozzle just exactly touching the bed
    • No pressure down, no gab between them.

The print leveling actually subtracts out the paper width to try and get this exact calibration.

Looks like your connection to MatterHackers Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.