Raise3D N2 Vs Taz 6 vs Ultimaker 3

• I have my next 3d Printer narrowed down to three Options, would like input from owners or people with first hand knowledge sorry your step brothers uncle mother's hairdresser's neighbor doesn't cut it. I came here because Matter hackers carries all three printers

I print lots of moving or low tolerance items about 50% PLA, 30% ABS and 20% other.

Raise3D N2
    Con fewer reviews for this model but the ones I did find rate it highly
    Pro well build high end parts

Taz 6 Platinum with cover
    Pro Tons of reviews, tons or upgrades tons of options but need to purchase a cover and dual extruder
    Con it would be my only 3mm printer
    (possible con the Taz 6 could be replaced at anytime I heard rumors of a Taz 7 coming soon)

Ultimaker 3 with Top
    Pro Very Well reviewed
    Con Locked into Um upgrades only and this model is already old

• these all look pretty good, the N2 got pretty great quality from the reviews ive seen, the taz 6 is the most open source printer out there with tons of community support, the ultimaker is probably one of the highest rated industrial use printers next to the taz 6, they are pretty comparable since they both use 3mm filament. they are all close in price. imo if you dont plan on going with new filament or the hassle of swapping a 3mm to a 1.75 (taz 6 only) id go with the N2 solely because its already in an enclosure so printing abs and keeping the fumes at a minimum, has a very nice touchscreen and is built pretty good. thats just my opinion.

• I am biased by having one of these - so I might be slightly too "glowing" about the N2 but I really have found that it can do almost anything.

I have an N2+, so the build volume is huge.

Cons:
    Its a big machine... At least the N2+ is
    Bed leveling is a bit of a chore but really only a "do once" task.
    Factory extruder is a little heavy, gets lots of horrible reviews BUT see the related PRO... I never had any issues with mine

PROs:
    Its a BIG machine - totally enclosed except when printing PLA - prop open the top or take it off for PLA

The mechanics are really quite solid - of course you could build a better machine but then the price would go up too - its really a solid performer out of the box.

You CAN upgrade various parts if you find a need - From alternate hot ends and extruders to using upgraded stepper chips, third part slicing software, g-code etc.

It all works out of the box - but it isn't so closed a system that you can't find custom solutions for any issue you might have.

Notes:

I like to print Nylon and CF nylon or CF PETG - it does all of those quite well.

I have run 0.2mm nozzles at 0.05 layer height and gotten great detail

I've also run 1.0mm nozzles with a layer height of 0.4mm and built huge parts really fast - it can do what you need when you need it.

I would call it a "semi-open" system, as the controller can be flashed to alternate (not factory) configurations but the provided software, touch screen and IdeaMaker software all integrate so well, I stopped using other slicers and just use theirs.

Tech support and the on line community are responsive and knowledgable - no regrets!

I switched to a Bondtech Dual Direct extruder because I found one really cheep used - For standard filaments, it doesn't seem to be much different from the factory extruder - maybe for really soft filament or poor quality filament that isn't consistently round, the spring loaded drive would be an advantage, but I never had trouble with the factory system - adjusted it once and was good to go.

Mark

Looks like your connection to MatterHackers Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.