Something positive

• I think communities are not only there to take care of problems but also share - so if you disagree let me know So I make a start of showing my prints from the last 2 days
    0_1557279413840_SANY0019.JPG

and curently printing
    0_1557279449842_SANY0017.JPG

Printer MH Pulse
    E3D V6 with .8mm Nozzle ,4mm Layerheight
    Filament Hobby King HIPS
    Print temp 270, Bed 100 (garolite with gluestick), Selfmade enclosure modeled after MH enclosure which is basically a box over the printer. Ambient temp inside the box 37-39 C
    Sliced with SLIC3R volumetric E with volumetric max of 18 mm3/sec (Nothing else flows as fast as HIPS) No Fan except 60% for bridging. Bridging speed 100 %. Extrusion multiplier .93 measured. Bridge flow multiplier .84. Layer width .96 except for top layer .92

The big ones are about 9inx6inx 3 in and are axle and wheel holders. the one with the flat plate gets a gearbox mounted to it. Min wall thickness on all is 5.76mm Solid print as it is printed with 8 perimeters 7 top and bottom layers. The one in progress is a frame piece that connects 2 of those wheel/axle holders. Printed so far 2 each (as there are 4 wheels) Each axle holder is 420/480 gram HIPS respectively

Hope this inspires and helps someone

• Thanks for sharing, very interesting.
    What are you making.

• We (FRC Team 1989) Are trying to get 3D printing to the point that we can 3D print the whole robot. Here is the start of a frame
    0_1557355929044_SANY0015.JPG
    The frame is 32x28 inches and the whole thing will be about 4 foot tall and can extend to 9 foot. There is still some aluminum tubing at this point but eventually the goal is to eliminate as much as possible and then add it back in where it makes sense. The weight limit is 125 lb and with aluminum we always had to not do quite a few things that we wanted due to being too close to the limit now the plastic might help us there and then if we need weight we can always add some. The bottom of the frame will be most likely held together with some fiberglass molded around some printed parts. Next on our list is designing some gear boxes and a new rack and pinion setup. Reason we use a lot of HIPS is that we are a low budget outfit and HIPS is about 12 bucks a kg at Hobby king and is tougher than ABS and prints easier and smells less. And it prints about 30 % faster than ABS or PLA or PETG. and 2x the speed of Nylon

• Here is a prototype of one of the gearboxes (planetary inside a wheel) that might go on this if all the tests go fine -probably a couple of iterations away still

2_1557356827479_SANY0022.JPG 1_1557356827479_SANY0021.JPG 0_1557356827479_SANY0020.JPG

Printed in Hobby King Mystery Nylon and the Mechanum slide on is out of PLA just to get the sizing right There are still some problem eventually it will be printed most likely in Taulman 910. But that Nylon in the Pic we picked up a couple of months ago on sale for a little under $ 20/kg. Its a pain in the butt to print it prints like Nylon fishing line. We think its 6/6 as it needs to be rehydrated after print but its tough and cheap and good for prototyping usually one step after a dimensional test in PLA. Ten we get some run time and if all the kinks are worked out and then usually its some Taulman stuff. IDK if I should recommend that particular Nylon as its really tough to handle. If you do Print at a volmetric max of 8mm3/kg a layer height of 2-2.4 mm on a .8 nozzle. 280 C temp, 95 bed (garolite) lots of glue and an enclosure and print speed < 20mm/sec max or the volumetric max whichever is less. You have to print out of the print dry or it will get wet quickly. After printing its very brittle so you have to put it into a bucket of water or wrap it in wet rags for about 48 hours or so (Depending on size of part) and then you got a tough part 0.9 to 1% larger than initially printed - similar to most Nylons (They are not all the same but the all grow a little when they suck up water after printing) So its a process to print that cheap nylon

BTW all printed on a Matterhackers Pulse

• Last thing. We call it Mystery Nylon cause it was impossible to get any info on it the only info that came with it was "This Nylon does not stick to most things so use something else. Melting point 260 C so print above that. When I asked for more they referred me to the Matterhackers page "succeeding with Nylon" lol

• Thanks, very interesting, that's some exercise you attempting.

• Rack and Pinion starting to come along Rack is a double rack to combat deflection reinforced with 1/2 al. shaft Will lift in excess of 100 lb on bench test Material for now Hobby King HIPS. Printed on MH Pulse on Garolite plate with E3D V6 hotend and .8mm Nozzle sliced in SLIC3R
    1_1557682495410_SANY0025.JPG 0_1557682495409_SANY0024.JPG

Looks like your connection to MatterHackers Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.