Shifting layers Plus

• I have tried it with several programs and all have the same problems.

firstly, I printed a model and found that though it looked fine on the screen it printed out mirrored, the print was fine.

But, when I mirrored it back and tried to print it again the printer just went funny, started to shift layers.

I have tried several things to try and right it.

Checked for belt slip, fine

checked for over heating motor drivers, fine, have a fan in place.

changed the bearings on the X axis.

Also tried slowing the printing speed, but that seemed to make the shifting happen earlier in the print..

not sure what else to try. Any one have anything further I can try..

• Could be acceleration setting is too high. It's set either in EEPROM or firmware, depending on your printer.

• Thanks Ryan,

A question, if it were to do with acceleration, would this not happen at the very beginning of the print and not wait until it was about 20mm height.?

• Depending on the geometry of the print, perhaps not. But it's probably more likely that a poor acceleration setting would show itself earlier on instead of waiting 20 layers. Maybe @unlimitedbacon has an idea.

• I don't think it would necessarily happen at the start of a print. It could just be that it takes it a while to get to the right kind of move that causes the skipping.

• Thanks both,

can you suggest a figure to start with.

At the moment, print speed is 3800, and excelleration is 4000.

I am using an i3.

• Print speed is 3800 mm/s? That seems astronomically high, and I'm willing to bet that isn't right. Normal print speeds are ~10-50 mm/s.

Acceleration should probably be more like 3000. Start with that and adjust from there.

• Thanks Ryan,,

I changed those figures, but didn't seem to make much difference, but I did notice something while trying other things, it did not take much to slow the X axis Motor, by just holding a finger on the pully very lightly made it shift considerably, this does not seem right, should I increase the current.

• There are instructions here for tuning the motor current, if you want to give it a shot.

• Never did find the cause, but in the mean time I have changed over from the 5mm threaded rods to lead screws, and have added belt tentioning, and all is fine.

But thanks to all who tried to help.

Looks like your connection to MatterHackers Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.