Print recovery serious issue!!!!!!

• During a three hour print Windows kindly decided to drop the USB connection.

When I reconnected MatterControl asked me if I wanted to recover the print so naturally I answered yes.

Matter Control then went and ran a G28 and smashed into the print and buckled my X axis, the motors don't sound too happy now either.

To say I am a little angry would be an understatement.

• Sorry to hear about the crash. That's definitely not the intended behavior, and I'd like to investigate how we can make the feature better.

Print Recovery is a relatively new feature, and has a few settings available for configuration-- one of which in particular that can affect the location at which the printer homes the Z axis. It's called XY Homing Position: http://wiki.mattercontrol.com/SETTINGS/Printer/Print_Recovery/Recover_Settings/XY_Homing_Position

You're basically telling MatterControl where on the bed would be the best location to home the Z axis so that the printer doesn't collide with an existing part. It's not perfect, and could be improved, but for a feature in an open source program it functions well enough that we considered it okay to release.

That said, what kind of printer do you have? Did you use a pre-configured profile or make your own custom one?

• I have a P3 Steel (basic Prusa config) which I run Marlin on a Ramps 1.4.

Everything is set up pretty much standard...

I personally think there is a high degree of danger employing any form of print recovery where the end-stop is at z min as the size and location of the print is a variable and thus unpredictable.

Would it not work better if the machine was configured to home at a z max position whilst attempting a recovery...
    The z min could be retained for better accuracy on a normal G28.

• Thanks for your input. We've added some extra language to the warning message/prompt before Print Recovery runs on restart to give the user an opportunity to review the intended moves and to only proceed if they deem it safe.

@MarkS said:

I personally think there is a high degree of danger employing any form of print recovery where the end-stop is at z min as the size and location of the print is a variable and thus unpredictable.

It can be hazardous, and the feature is disabled by default for any Z min printer when using a stock MatterControl profile. Once enabled, it works, but things can still go wrong if not configured properly. The ideal solution would be to take values for the size of the hot end/carriage, part, and code in a way to automatically detect a good location to home the Z min. These improvements are possible, but will take some time to create if they are deemed important enough by the development team.

@MarkS said:

Would it not work better if the machine was configured to home at a z max position whilst attempting a recovery...

Ideally, yes, but only printers that have both Z min and Z max endstops would be able to make use of the feature this way, and many do not.

Looks like your connection to MatterHackers Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.