Filament heat resistance/strength.

• Has anyone made a full list of filaments and all of their characteristics? I'm making parts that go inside cars and I use esun Pla pro, because of it strength and heat resistance, It evidently isn't good enough because I just had a part melt in California. I thought about switching to petg, but it appears to have a similar heat resistance. Is ABS my next choice or is there a better option out there? Information on filaments is so inconsistent that I don't know what direction to go in.

• MatterHackers

PETG has a higher heat deflection temp than PLA (~80C vs ~60C). It won't melt/deform in a hot car.

ABS (~90-100C) is a bit higher than PETG.

After that, then you're looking at Polycarbonate (~120C) or Carbon Fiber or Glass filled Nylons (~130-145C).

• Global Moderator

I print Nylon with a HDT can be as high as 240C which is closer to the Ultem range of temperatures. I would definitly not use PLA inside of a car. The MatterHackers tough Rhino is higher heat range petg and is what I believe is used on the Pulse XE printer parts.

• Global Moderator

Another trick is to hydropack your parts. Once you have finished your 3D print, soak your parts in water for 24 hours and then package them in a sealed poly bag damp/wet. This works great for petg, polycarbonate and nylon. It will increase the flexural strength of the part, helping the customer to install the item without breaking it.

• MatterHackers

@tinken flexural strength is actually decreased. Flexural modulus is decreased with water absorption - but this makes it more flexible, which may be a desirable trait.

Water absorption causes reduction of molecular weight of polymers. Typically this requires elevated temps, but some hydrolysis does occur at room temps.

This is also important to keep in mind, too, because most data sheets will report the highest values possible, and these tests are done on perfectly dried material. Once something is printed and allowed to absorb water from the air, its strength will be decreased.

• Global Moderator

@cope413 Your correct, Young Modulus tensile is decreased.

I explained that incorrectly. What I was trying to convey is that the part will be more flexible for install, but will eventually settle at equilibrium after install to the ambient relative humidity.

• This post is deleted!

Looks like your connection to MatterHackers Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.