Solid bottom climbing the walls

• I am trying to print a cylindrical shell (like a vase, but spiral vase is not strong enough). The shape is like a broad funnel, with a vertical wall at the bottom, and a wall angling out 30 degrees from vertical at the top. I tried settings of 2 perimeters, no fill, 3 layer solid bottom, no solid top. The vertical walls print as desired, but the angled ones have what appears to be a few mm of solid bottom added to the inside at each layer. Why? Is there a setting I need to use to eliminate these extra solid bottom bits? I tried other slicers: Cura had a similar problem, Slic3r and Prusa did not.

I was able to get what I wanted by creating a shell in my solid model. I am just trying to understand what the slicer is doing. Is it a bug? I am not sufficiently experienced to know.

I tried attaching STL and G code files, but apparently I do not have enough privileges do upload files.

[0_1645486398715_Lampshade extension cone.stl](Uploading 100%) 0_1645486236115_Lampshade extension cone image.JPG 0_1645486263209_Lampshade e cone m slice close.JPG [0_1645486295993_Lampshade extension cone.stl](Uploading 100%)

• OK, I see how to share g code, stl, etc using Google Drive (I hope)

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1mIDFtuz-ynesPUTKOeltEcclfq4M_n1v?usp=sharing

• MatterHackers

It's not a bug. It detects that the overhang is beyond a certain threshold, so it generates solid bottom layers.

If you want to have solid bottom layers on the cylindrical section, but not in the angled vase portion, you can do a re-slice on it while it's printing.

Start the print, let it get to the top of the bottom portion (the cylindrical section), then change the solid bottom and top layers to 0 and hit re-slice and select "switch" when it's finished re-slicing.

0_1645492165200_ae64ac59-6ecf-49b3-bbea-c941dbe2e0c5-image.png

It will apply the new slice settings on the next layer.

• Got it, thanks. I sort of wondered what that "re-slice" capability was good for. This is a perfect example.

• I also discovered that if I slice with 1 or 2 solid bottom layers instead of 3, the slicer does NOT create the partial bottom layers on the walls.

Looks like your connection to MatterHackers Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.