Trying to Shining Silver PLA/PHA on a MakerBot Replicator+

• Hello All,

Brand new to MaterHackers. I've been printing with a MakerBot Rep 2, 5th Gen and more recently the Rep+ for three years. I have a lot of experience with these printers and have always used MakerBot filament. A few days ago I ordered my first spool of MatterHacker filament - Shining Silver 1.75mm PLA/PHA. I spoke to someone before I ordered it and the fellow assured me it would print fine on a MakerBot.

I'm trying to print the GE Jet Engine found on Thingiverse.com on the new Rep+ which I've had since it came out and it works very well. I've done the GE Jet Engine several times and know it well. I spent today trying to print the fan blade and turbines in the shining silver PLA/PHA but every 30 minutes or so I would get error message 57 which means there is an issue with the consistency of the hot end temp and the print would stop. But I don't think that was the problem since I printed in MakerBot PLA this morning and it worked fine.

Can anyone provide some insight as to why this filament would keep getting that error message. The printing it did do looked great, it just kept stalling. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jack

• Are you certain this doesn't happen with other filaments? It seems more like a hardware issue to me. Normally I would suggest running PID tuning, but I'm not sure if that is possible on the new Makerbots.

Different flavors of PLA do have slightly different thermal characteristics. Maybe this kind has a higher specific heat capacity than the Makerbot stuff. In that case, simply slowing down the print should help. This seems extremely unlikely, though.

• @unlimitedbacon

Thank you for the reply. I'm very familiar with this printer and this specific error message hasn't happened before. Could it be a new problem? Yes. I'll run some straight MakerBot PLA tonight and find out. But I don't think it's the hardware.

Thanks

Jack

• MatterHackers

I've had some Issues in the past with printer Silver PLA in particular on the Replicator 2. The issue doesn't sound exactly the same as the prints on the rep2 came out looking very ugly but I found printing slower with a slightly raised temperature helped out a bit.

• Sometimes these Errors occur when overshooting the max temp from Firmware. Depending on board and pidtemp settings the overshot can be +10 deg or more.

Looks like your connection to MatterHackers Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.