Pulse XE Z-axis Non-destructive Switch Adapter

• Global Moderator

Pulse XE Z-axis Non-destructive Switch Adapter

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4885300

Allows a non-destructive replacement of inductive Z-axis top switch.

The Problem:

Inductive probe switches were never meant to be used on 3D printers, nor were they designed to measure the Z axis accurately. They were designed to switch a load on large equipment when a large hunk of metal came near the contact.

You must power the probe from a supply of typically 6 to 36v and its ground pin to ground. A few types can work from +5V, so for those you can connect its Vcc pin to +5V instead.

The Complication is:

What happens if the ground wire to the sensor breaks or a bad crimp comes apart? If that happens, then the supply voltage to the sensor (5V, 12V or 24V) gets fed through the sensor electronics and the NPN output transistor to the output pin. If the supply is greater than 5V this will likely fuse the endstop input pin of the Azteeg or other control board. The board may survive, but there is no guarantee of that. Also the LED will get reverse biased and may fuse.

The Solution:

Non-destructive switch shelf which will slide into the original mount location. The addition of a standard microswitch mounted on the adapter.

Notes:

I am not exactly sure why MatterHackers implemented the inductive probe z-axis switch in the first place, maybe it had something to do with a requirement to Smoothieware? If that’s the case, the probe switch is no longer needed. The adapter needs to printed with solid infill so that it wont crush when pressure is applied by the mount screw.
    alt text
    alt text
    alt text
    alt text

• Perhaps because of its low cost? Thats the only reason i can figure for them using it, and that also conforms to their overall business model- which is to charge double , most of the time triple the price for every piece incorporated in their printers, and filament. I do understand operating in communist occupied california almost requires such policies, and in that regard they would be somewhat competitively priced. But overall not a consumers concern nor is it acceptable

• Global Moderator

@rbradford1111 Inductive probe is considerably more expensive than a micro switch.

• MatterHackers

We use them so that we get more precision on the z axis than a mechanical limit switch. They do cost more but are significantly more accurate.

• Global Moderator

It is unnecessary.

You are not setting the nozzle height off the upper z-stop, you still use the Bltouch for that. The nozzle height is set @ Z0 and the gantry is raised 10mm. It is from that point the meshing is adjusted from, not Z limit. All you are doing is stopping the gantry at the z limit and precision is not needed.

The advantage of the inductive sensor is that it has no physical connection to wear out. Unfortunately, the inductive probes wear much faster than a mechanical switch and can be dangerous to electronics when they break.

• Global Moderator

I upgraded the switch to mount directly onto the left stepper mount. This is a much cleaner design and allows for a higher Z axis lift maximum.

alt text

I have also created new upper bracket geometry. I removed the lower angled support and added to the top where it is out of the way. The bracket is now wider to accommodate a variety of micro switches mounted to the stepper mount. I have also removed material so that the T8 lead screw nut can move up into the upper bracket. 10-15mm more Z-axis lift can be gained. You will need to add a countersink screw to the T8 nut. See image above.

alt text

• Global Moderator

If using Duet electronics, a upper Z limit switch is not needed at all. You simply set your maximum Z height in the Config file and that is it. I use a switch because I have two Z axis home macros. I mainly use the BLtouch home macro, but when removing parts from the bed, I can home to the upper Z axis micro switch. You can still use my modified brackets if you use the inductive probe, you will just need to drill a hole and use a M3 capscrew for the probe to sense.

• Global Moderator

@tinken

Looks like your connection to MatterHackers Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.