Thanks guys. That warms my heart, and makes the hard work worth doing.
So many exciting things on the horizon, performance improvements, new tools, improvements to existing tools, and a bunch of things I can't talk about yet.
The 'Send' button in the 'More...' menu is for sending models to other devices associated with your MatterHackers account; not for sending to an SD card in the printer. MatterControl used to have a feature that tried to do that, but it didn't really work so it was deprecated a few versions ago. If you want to print from an SD card, you'll need to use the Export to G-Code function and save to the SD card while it's in the computer. The item was duplicated because you chose the instance of MatterControl which was connected to the printer, not the printer itself. Essentially, you sent the file right back to the same Queue.
The vanilla version of MatterControl (available from mattercontrol.com) only has a few models in the Library by default. Certain versions (like the ones available from ROBO 3D or SeeMeCNC) contain more models. One of those is probably the version your buddy showed you.
Here's the link to that article, in case anyone else is looking for it.TROUBLESHOOTING FOR MATTERCONTROL PRINT LEVELINGIn theory you should do the calibration while hot, since the length of the hot end will change very slightly due to thermal expansion. But in practice its easier to do it cold because then you don't have to deal with plastic leaking out of the nozzle.
Well I figured it out - very much self-induced. The PTFE tube in my e3d was pushed up ever so slightly and I was getting some melted filament in the heatsink. This was causing a lot of backpressure on the extruder (Bowden) and reducing the flow. There was a plastic tab missing from the collect which I think fell to the bottom of the hot end and created the gap at the end of thePTFE tube. Some prints had obvious under extrusion, while some were okay. Talk about hard to diagnose!So I think the differences between slicers is the fact the Slic3r defaults to 200% extrusion width, while MC uses 100%. On small prints that "fixed" the fill issues when using Slic3r. Since the models were most low fill the walls looked decent on both, even with the higer backpressure. On larger models not as well but stil better. Now I'm happily back to using MC and getting great prints.The info about the files for review is nice to know. I've already used it to see what settings I previously used to print a piece. Wish there was automatically reuse that data as long as the part stays in the queue. That'd be icing on the cake but just having the settings recorded is nice.thanks for the help.
@ryan.lutzCool, thanks! I'll look into this.@TheBigWheelI don't always use mattercontrol to print though. Usually I use it to create the gcode, then upload it to a laptop I have running OctoPrint. If I create the gcode with repetier the bed will heat first, then when it gets to temp the hot end will turn on. That's what I'm trying to replicate with mattercontrol.
I think I have seen this before on a Fedora system. I suspect it might be graphics driver related (that system was an old Nvidia card with the Noveau driver). What graphics card do you have and which driver are you using?Also, it probably wouldn't hurt to make sure you are on the latest Mono. We test on version 4.2.
MatterControl 1.5 has been released, which has built in profiles for the Makerbot 5th gen printers along with the ability to export X3G files, which you can print from the SD card. You still cannot connect directly to the printer over USB, but we are working on that and it is one of our top priorities at the moment.
Yep!Bottom line: Slic3r fails completely, MCslice works but has problems where solids cross, CuraEngine works but fails to connect some cross bars. Since I can load G code directly I will probably end up creating my own.What makes this shape so difficult is the number of interior walls. It is essentially 60 rings held together with bars. Each ring has an interior, and all the cross bars connecting the rings create interiors. Where the bars cross each other the slicing engine has to decide what is inside and what is outside - MCslice calls the solid in between crossed bars "outside" because the surfaces cross there. So it does not print there. CuraEngine does it half the time, and the other half it simply ignores the bar altogether. It gives rows of bars and rings disconnected so the full shape is not one piece.I've learned a lot, and I like the fact I'm pushing this technology to its limits. I know it can do what I want. It's just going to take a while. Especially since keeping the wife happy is a major factor!Dr. mike