Layer View issue with Slic3r or MatterSlice but not with CuraEngine

• I'm getting a strange result. Normally, when I go to Layer View and click "Generate" and once the GCode loads I get a nice preview.

Now I get no preview and the layers say 1/0. See: Screen Shot 1 on Dropbox The job will print, but no preview.

This happens with MatterSlice (which I have been using) and Slic3r but not on CuraEngine See: Screen Shot 2 on Dropbox preview no problem.

I did not change any settings. Tried renaming the database file - didn't help. Should I try and uninstall and reinstall with clearing out the application data? My settings should download from MatterHacker account, right? I would loose my local library, but that is not a big deal.

• Interesting. Can you upload the .gcode file to Dropbox and send a link so we can try to reproduce the problem? What Build Number are you running? http://wiki.mattercontrol.com/Send_Debugging_Information#Build_Number

• For the above screen shots I showed with 3Dbenchy. Here is the Exported gcode: 3DBenchy.gcode

Running build 1.7.0.8481, Tried to upgrade to Beta did the same. Also Uninstalled, moved the %userprofile%\AppData\Local\MatterControl folder elsewhere (instead of deleting), and reinstalled same behavior.

• Think I found the issue.

I had removed the comment from the beginning of the added a M117 to the layer change gcode to put layer number on my LCD.

Change it back to a comment and things work. Here is the gcode with it changed back to a comment... 3DBenchy2.gcode

Go figure...

• Great detective work. You are correct about that being the problem. MatterControl looks in the Layer Change G-Code for the line:

; LAYER:[layer_num]

And if it doesn't find it, it doesn't add those lines to the final G-Code, which is necessary for LAYER VIEW to render the print correctly. That shouldn't be-- you should be able to insert any value you want (like the M117) and still have layers display correctly. I've created a bug report for the development team so they can fix the bug: https://github.com/MatterHackers/MatterControl/issues/2125

For now, just add the above code to the Layer Change G-Code in addition to the M117 command you wanted and everything should work.

• I ment to say: I had removed the comment from the beginning of the layer change gcode and added a M117 to to put layer number on my LCD.

• Sure, but that inadvertently caused the functionality not to work, whereas it should have regardless of whether or not you changed the line in the Layer Change G-Code field. We'll fix it so that it will render no matter what you do in that field.

• MatterSlice already inserts the line "; Layer Change GCode" to the output file. If you also include the "; LAYER:[layer_num]" by default, you can leave the Custom G-Code Layer Change G-Code box blank.

It would be nice to be able to access the layer count as well. A "M117 Layer [layer_num] of [layer_count]" to display on my LCD would be nice...

• @jmckeand said:

MatterSlice already inserts the line "; Layer Change GCode" to the output file.

This is in the settings area to show all the settings used in slicing, and has no direct effect on the print.

@jmckeand said:

It would be nice to be able to access the layer count as well. A "M117 Layer [layer_num] of [layer_count]" to display on my LCD would be nice...

Yes, I get it. That is the whole reason I created the GitHub issue. As I said, for now you should be able to insert that M117 line in addition to the '; LAYER:[layer_num]' which is not yet added by default but should be. Does this not work?

• Yes it works, Thanks.

Looks like your connection to MatterHackers Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.