Super slow speed

• Hi there, I've assembled Anet A8 printer to learn everything from scratch and decide if I want to go more into 3d printing. I'm trying to see which slicing software is best for me and after playing with Craftware and Cura I decided to check MatterControl. I do like it a lot but I found strange problem. I'm trying to print 20mm calibration cube and no matter what I choose in settings I always get some super slow layers like 9mm/s. Can someone explain me why does this happen and how to avoid it? Thanks in advance!

• Not sure; that doesn't sound like an issue I've come across before, though slow layers can be a result of cooling settings. Check the Cooling Thresholds section of the Filament settings to see if the print is being slowed down because of that: http://wiki.mattercontrol.com/SETTINGS/Filament/Cooling/Cooling_Thresholds

If it's not because of cooling, we can investigate, but we'll need to see your Model File, Slice Settings, and G-Code File, as outlined here: http://wiki.mattercontrol.com/Send_Debugging_Information#Other_Useful_Files

Please use Dropbox, Google Drive, or a similar service to share the files and post the link in your reply.

• Bingo! Changing Minimum Print Speed in Cooling Thresholds to 100mm/s instantly changes all speeds way higher. However I got question what should I set there to have balance between quality and speed?

• 9 mm/s is not a bad value to have in that field, but if it doesn't work for you, try bumping it up 5 mm/s at a time. 100 is astronomically high, and as most printers print well at 40-50 mm/s, a value of 100 completely negates the function.

• I put 100 for a test and probably I don't understand purpose of this but if I want print small object and waiting for it over one hour isn't something good for me. So I have lowered time to 5 seconds and put min speed to 45 mm/s.

• Sure, if that works. You basically just want to experiment with those Cooling Threshold settings until you find the combination that works for your model.

Looks like your connection to MatterHackers Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.