Is it possible to translate words into other languages?

• Hi there!

This is just a simple question that if I could commit to translate into other languages (for me Japanese).

Is it possible? If I could, I'd love to do it.

• Thanks for asking-- good question.

Someone did a little work on the Japanese translation for MatterControl, but it never made it to the release version because either 1) encoding for the characters isn't supported or 2) the existing font files in MatterControl don't map properly to the correct Unicode characters. We're also not sure about the quality of the translations themselves-- they might be Google Translate nonsense.

We're trying to figure out what the exact cause is because ultimately we'd love the ability to use characters from every language. You can track progress on enabling the characters in this GitHub issue: https://github.com/MatterHackers/MatterControl/issues/1514

Until MatterControl can render the Japanese characters properly, there probably isn't much sense translating into those. You could do a separate translation for rōmaji Japanese, which would certainly render correctly since it uses the Roman characters with which MatterControl is already compatible. Otherwise, you might just review the existing translation so we know it's ready for release when we figure out the character rendering.

We're definitely interested in the help, so let me know if there's anything I can do to make the process easier. Thanks!

• Hi Ryan,

It's great to hear that translation work is welcome for the project.

oh and thanks too for guiding me the issue on Git.

For the roman characters, Japanese ppl feels much better in English words compared to Romaji Japanese.

I have done some translation works for some software including slicers before so I think I can check if the translation is correct and fit for MatterControl users.

I'm checking the translation txt right now and yes some translations are needed to be changed since some parts are bot translated but some are good!

Also I'm going to take a look at mapping and ISO issues. I know this is very stressful...

Will correct all words in translation txt.

• Thanks! We look forward to seeing what you can contribute.

• The previous GitHub issue I referenced was closed and replaced with this one: https://github.com/MatterHackers/MatterControl/issues/1523

Looks like your connection to MatterHackers Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.