Cleaning Filament

• Does anyone know the best way to use cleaning filament on a Rostock MAX V2 ?

I have just been pushing it through by hand directly into the hot end. A couple of times I pushed some filament in, let it cool then pulled it out.

I couldn't get it to extrude via the bowden tube. It would squeeze itself out of the side of the EZ-struder.

• The cleaning filament is meant to be run through the extruder when switching materials. It is mainly for switching from a high temperature material to a low temperature one. This way, the low temp material doesn't get burned during the swap. It will also help purge out the old material so the colors do not mix with the new material.

You should be able to extrude it normally. But if not, pushing it through by hand is fine. The technique where you let it cool and pull it out is called a cold pull. This is typically done with nylon.

• Thanks unlimitedbacon!

I wonder why I had trouble getting the cleaning filament to run through the EZ-struder? As you would know the Rostock MAX V2 does have a very long bowden tube... Does 235 degrees C sound right for the extruding temperature?

• The cleaning filament should extrude at any temperature above 180 C, so I don't think that is the problem.

It is a softer filament, which the EZStruders often have trouble with. The black bottom piece can be installed in 2 configurations. One way constrains the filament path more by having a guide that goes all the way up to the drive gear. Is yours put together that way?

Looks like your connection to MatterHackers Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.