Recycled Materials

• Hi, im Sergio Salazar, and im are very interested in to produce filaments from recycling materials, we have been investigate about this process, but we can't find how the 3D printers can identify this material and can work with it, so, is it necessary a special 3D printer that can work to this material? or it need a special additives or something like that? or maybe is it the extrusion procces the key?.

I would really appreciate if you help me with my research, thank you.

• A special 3D printer isn't necessary; the filament just has to be of good enough quality to be able to be processed by any normal 3D printer. Generally speaking, the issues that come up with recycling materials into 3D-printing filament have to do with those of contamination; that is, oils, moisture, and other impurities that can find their way in to the extrusion of the recycled filament. Keeping those impurities out of the final product is one key to a smooth print.

I would also think consistency of material is another important point; you can't expect filament to melt at different temperatures, so you must use the same material (like all recycled water bottles, for example) to keep up a good consistency.

• Thank you I really appreciate your help, I have been searching about that, but as you say, the impurities are the question.

Hope to be in touch with you for another question and you can count with me if you need some thing.

Looks like your connection to MatterHackers Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.