Designing shapes that print better

• I am using OpenSCAD to generate the parts I want to print. Since I am new to this, I have been mostly concerned getting the overall dimensions right. Sometimes the printer runs smoothly and sometimes it seems to shake and hammer to get the job done. What understanding of the printing process, or my printer, do I need to design parts that print better? Where do I find out how the (layering?) algorithm responds to my design? How can see what instructions are generated for some part of my model to experiment changing dimensions and such?

• I think you can do everything you are looking for through the Layer View in MatterControl.

There are also other services out there that do the same thing, like gcode.ws.

• My issue is not doing as much as it is understanding enough to make good decisions on the design end. A source for more detailed information would be good.

• "Design Guidelines for 3D Printing" would be a good subject for an article. We will probably write one eventually. Off the top of my head, here's some things you need to consider:

• Orientation
    • Overhangs
    • Thin walls
    • Holes should be 0.2 to 0.3 mm bigger than they need to be
    • Vertical dimensions should be increments of your layer height

Is there some specific thing you need advice about?

Looks like your connection to MatterHackers Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.