I’m a service engineer. Problems like this are common for me. And sorry for you to hear a clear „No“ on my behalf - there is no common or usual way to get a machine up and running. I went over 20 iterations or more, which is normal for custom made machines.
I tried different temperatures, speeds and layer thicknesses. No luck. I noticed that the messiness starts at a spot where the z distance varies and I think that might have to do with a "flat tire" on one of my Rostock Max V2 cheapskates. I think I tightened it too much and one of the bearing sleeves got "sticky". I loosened the tension and the stickiness went away. I am now trying to see, if the prints in that area will get smoother.